Manila Baywalk and Cobo - May 25


After all the food related postings, this time, we're on a small, simple trip to which I'm pretty sure is familiar to you.  The Manila Baywalk.


Before heading there, I just want to show you this tree of our neighbor which is being lit by the morning sunrise in the summer. I find the colors golden and inspiring me to go out and get some sun.







Actually, the reason for going here is for me to drive for my sister in the morning to US Embassy then wait until she's finished.  Expecting I will be waiting for her long enough, I brought my camera and hoped for good light.
I don't have a single out of town trip this summer and planned to make good use of this opportunity.






Back in the day when many people use email and facebook is just an alternative to Friendster and Myspace, I received a forwarded message with a subject line "Manila in Techni-Color 1960's".
It contained various images of Manila during that decade which I find pretty impressive due to the orderliness of the city.
Here's one image I took from the set which looks to be Roxas boulevard.  I'm confident you are impressed how beautiful this was. Look at the American cars parked there, classy.












Unfortunately, I bring you back to reality and this is what the coasts of Manila Bay looks like.

The water is murky with plenty of refuse and non-biodegradable items.

This imagery is just adjacent the US Embassy which is pretty embarrassing.
If you're coming from Cavite or Las Pinas, seeing the elevated pedestrian walk signifies to me that I'm near the embassy.



Styrofoam cups such as this is littered throughout the bay from people drinking their coffees which are bought from numerous vendors at the vicinity of the embassy.

Ouch!





After the small stroll to see the situation of the waters, I decided to walk away more and explore.
If you click on the image, you will be able to see the letters H20 on the left.  It's the hotel of Manila Ocean waterpark.


The bay is being renovated and is about in the middle of completion.
Guy reading a book.

Numerous people offer these services to passersby.



These men looks to be fishing hobbyists.  It's surely a slow and relaxing hobby if you ask me.



Steel or iron is a bad idea near the coasts.




The man has an interesting but relaxed position.





This is the popular pedestrian crossing in the location where I've seen numerous in TV advertisements. It's also leads to the fountain and Malate Church.


Be careful while crossing sine there are no traffic lights to aid the pedestrians.  I took my time waiting there until the road is clear which allowed me to capture these images.

That wall with the huge tarpaulin sign is the former location of a popular restaurant (probably to the elders), Aristocrat.




A quick search in net reveals to me that the statue is of Rajah Sulayman.



Interestingly, the bird didn't leave the statue at all until I got all my shots.  Thanks bird! :)


The barely visible Malate church.






I'm pretty satisfied and I need to get back to my sister as she could have been waiting for me.



I'm truly having fun taking these shots because of the deep but clear  blue sky as backdrop for my subjects.





Fortunately, there are hired people to cleanup the coasts.










This is the last of my images from the Baywalk which I might that there's one thing I want you to caution on if you're planning taking a stroll here and take pictures.

It is to refrain from using any type of camera pointing near the US Embassy as you would be apprehended by police officers in the area.  You will not be able to see them as their visibility is based on various CCTV cameras.



I was approached by a police officer wearing a slipper and shoe at the same time.  He asked me politely if he can view the photos in my camera to which I'm very aware this is heading to.  I made a small argument that the anything visible with the naked eye in public can be taken a photo of, but, he was persistent that I need to delete photos that includes parts of the US embassy. To make our conversation short, I gave in and deleted some photos he believes that needs be deleted.

After the police officer left, I made friends with a metro aide, the one who sweeps the streets clean, who went to me to talk about the incident.  Our conversation immediately started talking about her personal life and her experiences with foreigners meeting and dating.  It was interesting though but was cut by her co-workers coming in, as it was actually their break time in the morning. I had an experience that is unusual and will be memorable. I'm sure you will too when you have a camera taking photos in the street.




Going home and quite hungry by now, my sister decided that we went to Cobo, a new establishment within the area of University of Perpetual Help.
It's based on a trend in Manila which came from Taiwan, the Milk Teas.

What set them apart from the others is the colorful theme of the store and the, Bubble Burst pearls!

These jellies is one of a kind that I have tried and is good drinking experience that you have to try.

To your right is the colorful and creatively done wall.
The establishment is spacious, good amenities, and has good taste on their choice of background music.


Again, not know anything about these things, my sister ordered for me this green drink (if I'm correct, Honeydue) with the Bubble Burst pearls.

To my senses, the green stuff is similar to 7-11's Slurpee only a bit smoother and sweeter but the jellies made up for it so I was able to finish this huge serving of sugary drink. I could describe how the pearls are but I suggest trying it yourself.





A quick search on the net, I found that there's one originating branch in Tomas Morato and another in the city of Cebu.  I was not able to find an official website but only a simple facebook page almost no content.

Reviews from various bloggers share that food is not something the store does best which my sister has also told me.  Anyways, if you're a fan of such drinks and want to try something different, then go for it as Cobo is not simply a copycat of those already in the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment